[Editor’s note]. If you want to understand why I added this video, check out Ihuoma’s story below. Also, please be aware that it is not to say that this is true of all Nigerian families. Let us know about how yours is similar or different.
Name: Ihuoma O.
Country of Origin: Nigeria
It would be impossible to sum up what having African parents entails, but I’ll try. They are all so different but have a few major things in common. Having African parents is like having the voice of reason in your head manifesting itself in person. It goes without saying that there is a level of maturity that they expect even at an early age. In order to fully show the reader what I mean by this, I will contrast it to the American style of parenting.
1) spanking only teaches the child how to hit: instead, kids are grounded as a form of discipline
2) parents are to encourage children to do chores by giving them allowance
3) American kids are given their own room for privacy
4) getting a C is an average score
1) the only time out I had was after my mom did some butt wooping for forgetting to do my chores!
2)what am I paying you for, you don’t work
3) ehhh… five of you make room on the bed for little Chi-Chi
4) just you try and bring home a B and I will show you what average is
Now to the average American, African parents would appear to be abusive and even raw in their method, but in the end, most African children usually end up appreciating their parents’ style of parenting.